Have you ever felt helpless, with nobody around to share your thoughts, your grief? It is like thousands of thoughts pondering in your mind and there is no one who could be able to understand you, your state of mind. And then, you feel alone, trapped in your own circumference, fighting with sorrow and helplessness and slowly losing all hopes from life. While this can be just once in a blue moon experience for some people, there are many people who go through this every day, every minute, in fact, EVERY SECOND. Yes, depression is a cruel disease that leaves you helpless, hopeless and under dark shadows of sadness.
Depression has recently become one of the most dreadful diseases of the world. No, it isn’t fatal but it is cruel enough to snatch away your life from you and leave you a dead man alive. As per a report by World Health Organization, over 350 million people in the world suffer from Depression. This almost amounts to 5% of the world’s population. This data comprises more of women than men.
To ensure that you or any of your beloved persons do not get trapped with this dark disease, you must know what it depression and what are natural depression cures.
What is depression?
As per the American Psychiatric Association, “Depression (major depressive disorder) is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel the way you think and how you act. Fortunately, it is also treatable. Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and at home.”
Depression can come to you in a single bout or can have recurring episodes, while the first one is known as a persistent depressive order; the later has many variants including bipolar disorder or manic-depressive illness. One may also develop seasonal affective disorder (SAD), wherein one is affected by a specific season or time of the day. In females, postpartum depression is very common. As per National Institute of Mental Health 10-20% females suffer from postpartum depression.
No matter what type of depression it is, the common symptoms of depression include:
- Feeling sad or depressed often
- Loss of interest in activities
- Changes in appetite, unexplained weight loss/gain
- Insomnia, or trouble sleeping or excessive sleeping
- Fatigue and loss of energy
- Purposeless physical activity like nail biting, hand-wringing or very slowed movements
- Problem in speech
- Feeling of self-loath or guilt
- Difficulty in thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thinking suicidal
How to cure depression?
Depression may affect different people in a different way and thus the treatment for no two people can be same. Thus the treatment for depression should be tailor-made for an individual depending on what is the individual feels and suffer. Here are some tips to cure depression:
It is important that one must know about his/her type of depression. The symptoms help you understand the underlying medical conditions. One must also analyze the severity of the depression as it is a critical aspect to choose your treatment.
No doubt antidepressants are showing high sales figures, but no study claims them to be the ultimate remedy for depression. You cannot rely on medication alone but must include exercise, natural therapy, and meditation in your lifestyle.
Social Support is a must:
Depression makes you feel alone and you may not wish to be open about it to most of the people. But, it is essential that you have a good company to back you in your fight against depression.
It will take time, stay committed:
It is not an instant deal, treating depression takes time, the only thing that can increase the speed of the treatment is one’s commitment and willingness.
What are natural depression cures?
Depression is known to be the most treatable mental disorder. A report of American Psychiatric Association claims that between 80-90% of depression patients respond to the treatment well. In a report, published in Harvard Medical Publishing, it is made clear that natural therapy must be the first option to cure depression. Over 95% depression patients have been cured with natural depression cures as the rest 5% have depression related to severe medical conditions. Let us talk about some natural depression treatment:
- Get into a routine: The first thing you need to do to effectively combat depression is getting in a routine. The first thing that depression attacks are the structure of your life and to return back the blow, you need to have a well-structured life routine with right weight to each and every activity an individual must do in his/her normal life. This shouldn’t be a tough timetable, but a schedule that has all day to day activity that helps you feel normal.
- Goal setting: A life without a goal is aimless and when you are fighting with depression, it can become horrible. Depression leaves you hopeless, filled with self-loath and make you feel as if you cannot accomplish anything. So, to push back, you must set goals for yourself, and start working on them. We recommend starting from small targets and making them big and bigger slowly and gradually.
- Healthy eating: Eating healthy has always been associated with staying healthy and thus you must surely watch what you eat. Eating food rich in nutrition is the key to get rid of all types of illnesses including depression. Although there isn’t any magical diet to cure depression, some experts suggest a few diet tips for individuals suffering from depression:
- Serotonin rich diet: Serotonin helps to keep your brain active and thus makes you thoughtful. However, there is no need to rely on medicines for a good serotonin supply; there are plenty of natural food items that offer you a rich supply of serotonin.
– Food items with high Omega-3 Fatty Acids
– Coconut Oil
– High protein items
- Avoid Caffeine: Caffeine is said to reduce the serotonin levels in your brain, hence experts suggest limiting your caffeine intake to treat depression.
- Better sleep: One of the primary enhancers of depression is ‘lack of sleep’. It is recommended for a depression patient to a sound sleep. However, it is the toughest thing to do when you are suffering from depression. Here is what you need to do:
– As you have already started with a routine, you must have specified time to sleep.
– Say goodbye to naps as they may disturb your sleep routine.
– Go to the bed at the same time every day and rise up early.
– Move away from all distractions from your bedroom, like T.V., Computer, etc.
– Switch off your mobile phone before you go to sleep.
- Exercise: A report published in Harvard Health Publishing, states that ‘exercise is a completely natural treatment to fight depression.’ assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, Dr. -Michael Craig Miller says, “For some people it works as well as antidepressants, although exercise alone isn’t enough for someone with severe depression,” Not only a good exercise schedule keeps you physically fit but it also help you curb many mental disorders including depression. After a good workout session, a human body has higher serotonin, endorphins, and other feel-good brain chemical levels. This ultimately, boosts the brain mechanism making you use your positive brain power. You must include 30-60 minutes of an exercise session in your routine.
- Take responsibilities: Depression makes you run away from all roles and responsibility and take refuge in isolation. But, if you continue staying isolated, the chances of the depression becoming worse are severe. Thus, to avoid any enhancement in your conditions and rather get better, you must take on responsibilities. You must show initiative at home as well as at work. This will keep you involved and curb your loneliness and thus the feeling of depression. As you start performing your responsibilities well, you also get a feeling of self-worth which in case of depression is a great sign of recovery.
- Light Therapy: For individuals with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), a disorder that is primarily caused by dark days of winter or lack of sunlight, light therapy is an excellent way to treat depression. The therapy is simple; all you need to do is sit near a brightly lit box, which resembles the light on a bright sunny day. The initial sessions must be 15 minutes long and then slowly and gradually should be increased to one to two hours daily. The timing, however, depends on the severity of your condition.
Maintain a diary:
Maintaining a diary has always been a good habit to keep. But, in case of depression, it is not only a good habit but an aid to shoo away the negative thoughts. Noting down the dark moments will help one analyze the situations and feelings associated with them. Thus, one can form a mechanism to fight them off.
Talk it out:
Venting out your fears, frustration, guilt, sorrow, and happiness is one of the most effective ways to deal with depression. As you let yourself open, you feel free from the hold of sorrows, loneliness and other feelings associated with depression. You can either find a partner to talk to or join a support group. You may meet people who have successfully fought depression and thus get motivated to deal with your own condition.
Being trapped in your plain vanilla routine is something making you more depressed. You must, come out of the rut and find something new to explore, something that interests you and let you have fun. This will give you a break from your monotonous schedule and all the negative thoughts that you often ponder.
Stress is one of the primary factors influencing the level of depression. It is reported that more than half of depression patients have stress-induced depression and feel impossible to cope with the tasks and stress levels in their life. Even if you have depression because of some other reasons, excessive stress levels can make the situation worse. You must know how to deal with stress effectively. One fine way is to indulge in meditation and yoga. Both these techniques are proven to offer mental stability and power to combat stress.
Hone your mental power:
Now, this is going to be tough, but, never impossible. As we know, depression is a mental disorder and thus the best way to treat it is becoming mentally strong. You need to hone your mental power and fight the ill-thoughts. Your brain is a great moderator and can make you feel too distressed if you let it do it. Thus, you must learn how to deal with negative thoughts. You may take help of someone in this but ultimately, it is you who has to take charge of your brain.
Feeling logical is a natural way to cure depressions. You can fight any negative thought with a logical approach.
Though depression is not a fatal disease, the outcomes of many depression cases are recorded to be devastating. Most common is the increase in suicidal thoughts which is the worst alarming signs of all. Anti-depressants are the last refuge to treat depression. Before that, one must try natural tips to cure depression and come out of the dark shadows. The success rate of natural depression cures is high and people are turning toward natural therapies at an increased rate. If you or any of your known people is suffering from depression, the above-mentioned natural depression cures will help them recover successfully without exposing your body to any harmful chemicals.
One must start confronting depression as soon as possible because if delayed, the consequences can result in failed relationships, grave mental illness and at times suicides. It is just a disease; all you need to do is ‘FACE IT.’ Good Luck!!